We have reached the end of the Sennheiser HearIAm contest, which we launched last summer and has since provided hundreds of North American artists with several opportunities to take their music careers to the next level. Five bands have won a chance to compete for a spectacular grand prize, which includes a three-song demo deal with Pick The Band, mastering and digital distribution with Universal Republic Records and an exclusive, all expense paid showcase at Universal Republic Records’ headquarters in New York.
Fans can vote for their favorite artists on the HearIAm.com site between April 12th and April 25th, and fans who participate in the voting process will be eligible to win a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones — which many audiophiles consider to be among the best headphones in the world. The finalists, who were selected by music fans and a panel of accomplished judges from Sennheiser, PickTheBand.com and Universal Republic Records, include the following:
• Trucker (from Kansas; winner of Osheaga 2010): Trucker is a six-piece vocal rock band based in Lawrence, Kansas. From Rock to Alternative to Country to Blues, their music demonstrates passion and craftsmanship in every song. Over the last 10 years Trucker has had over 500,000 worldwide MP3 downloads from their website.
• The Hall Effect (from Colombia; winner of CMJ 2010): The Hall Effect is a four-piece indie band that debuted on the Colombian music scene in 2006. Their compelling fusion of rocking riffs and sonic inventiveness soon earned them a loyal following among fans and media.
• Aquivolta (from Mexico; winner of Mexico City Live 2010): Arquivolta was formed in 2009 in Mexico City. The project was first conceived as a progressive funk, double bass and guitar-synth ensemble but has since evolved into a more defined, energetic, and powerful music experience.
• Paul Davidson (from Virginia; winner of CMW 2011): For Paul Davidson, a a talented vocalist singer/songwriter, it is all about living life to the fullest, making the best music he can and sharing it with anyone who wants to listen. Davidson’s vocal ability and unique tone has captivated many fans across the U.S. since he committed himself to a career in music just over a year ago.
• Darlingside (Massachusetts; winner of Austin phase): Darlingside is a “string rock” quintet with lush five-part harmonies, classical cello-violin duets and compelling break-beats that characterize the band’s sound.
Since launching last spring, Sennheiser’s HearIAm campaign — launched in conjunction with PickTheBand.com — has provided artists and musicians with a unique opportunity to expose their music to thousands of fans across the Americas. In addition, music fans registering on HearIAm.com have been exposed to a treasure trove of fresh, new music to discover and share. By participating, these fans have helped their favorite artists gain performance slots at prominent music showcases and become eligible to win music gear and other prizes. By registering and voting, these music fans have become eligible to win a range of prizes including trips to popular music festivals, Sennheiser headphones and other items. Following is a brief description of some of the key milestones over the course of the campaign:
• In August 2010, Sennheiser completed the first phase of HearIAm as Kansas City-based rock band Trucker performed at Montreal’s Osheaga 2010 festival alongside artists like Snoop Dogg and Sonic Youth.
• In October 2010, Columbia’s The Hall Effect won the second phase of HearIAm, playing a fully attended showcase at New York City’s CMJ Music Marathon.
• In December 2010, Mexico’s Arquivolta won the third phase of HearIAm,
performing in an exclusive, packed showcase for music fans in Mexico City.
• In January 2011, Virginia-based John Davidson won the Canadian Music Week phase of the contest, gaining an opportunity to play at one of Toronto’s hottest venues: The Mod Club.
• In February 2011, Massachusetts-based Darlingside won the Austin phase of the contest, and was selected to play an exclusive showcase at The Stage on Sixth.
• In April of 2011, the grand prize winner of the HearIAm initiative will be announced and will receive a three-song demo deal with Pick The Band, mastering and digital distribution with Universal Republic Records as well as an exclusive showcase at Universal Republic Records’ headquarters in New York.
Caption: A pair of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones will be awarded to a lucky music fan who participates in the final voting process on HearIAm.com.
Thanks for all your participation. More to come!